Microbiome and the Eye: What’s the connection? highlights how alterations in the gut and eye microbiomes can lead to systemic immune alterations with subsequent effects on the eye. The book is divided into two sections, one highlighting how alterations in the gut microbiome impact various components of health outside the gut, with a focus on the immune system and inflammatory mediators, and the second focusing on studies on a variety of ocular diseases, including ocular surface diseases/dry eye, keratitis, uveitis, glaucoma, and retinopathy to gut dysbiosis. With its translational approach, the book is suitable for both researchers and clinicians.
The book will help readers understand the mechanisms in which gut and eye microbiome composition may influence health in multiple compartments, with a focus on eye diseases.
- Helps researchers understand the clinical eye diseases that have been linked to gut microbiome abnormalities
- Helps clinicians understand the mechanisms in which gut microbiome composition may influence health in multiple compartments
- Provides a foundation for future studies that consider gut microbiome manipulations as a treatment for specific eye diseases
- ASIN : B0C8T7WD9F
- Publisher : Academic Press (July 1, 2023)
- Publication date : July 1, 2023
- Language : English